If you’re like me, you’ve probably experienced the frustration of buying a pair of high heels that are too big.
You love the style and the way they look, but when you try them on, your feet slip and slide around, making walking impossible.
But don’t worry, there are solutions to this problem that don’t involve returning your shoes.
One option is to use heel liners or insoles to make the shoes fit more snugly. Heel liners are a discreet fix for open-toe heels that are too big, especially if the sizing issue is with the length.
They come in different materials, such as foam or gel, and can be easily inserted into the back of the shoe.
Insoles, however, are a personal favorite of mine and an easy go-to.
They come in full-size or half-size options and can be trimmed to fit any shoe. They not only make the shoe fit better, but they also provide extra cushioning and support for your feet.
Another option is to try wearing the shoes with thicker socks or tights. This can help fill up extra space in the shoe and prevent your feet from slipping.
Just be sure to choose socks or tights that are appropriate for the style of shoe you’re wearing. For example, if you wear open-toe heels, opt for toeless socks or tights to avoid awkward bunching or slipping.
Assess the Fit
When I find myself with high heels that are too big, I first assess the fit. I start by standing up and walking around in the shoes to see how they feel.
If my feet are slipping out of the shoes or there is too much space between my heel and the back, I know the shoes are too big.
Next, I check to see any room in the toe box. If my toes are cramped or there is no space between my toes and the front of the shoe, the shoes are too small.
On the other hand, if there is less space in the toe box, the shoes are smaller.
It’s important to note that high heels should fit snugly but not too tightly. If the shoes are too tight, they can cause blisters, calluses, and other foot problems.
If they are too loose, they can cause your feet to slide forward, putting pressure on your toes and making it difficult to walk.
To help assess the fit, I use the following checklist:
- The shoes should fit snugly around the heel and the instep.
- There should be enough space in the toe box to wiggle your toes.
- The shoes should not slip off your feet when you walk.
- The shoes should not pinch or rub anywhere on your foot.
Following this checklist, I can quickly determine if the shoes are too big or too small. If they are too big, I can move on to the next step and try some tips and tricks for making high heels fit better.
When high heels are too big, insoles can be a great solution to make them fit better. Insoles are inserts you place inside your shoes to provide extra cushioning, support, and comfort. They can also help fill the extra space in your shoes and prevent your feet from sliding forward.
Many different types of insoles are available on the market, and choosing the right one can depend on your specific needs and preferences. Here are some popular options to consider:
- Ball of Foot Cushions: These insoles are designed to provide extra padding and grip under the ball of your feet, which can help keep your feet in place and prevent them from sliding forward in your shoes. They are a great option if you have a narrow foot or if your high heels are too big in the toe area.
- Full-Length Insoles: These insoles run the entire length of your shoe and provide cushioning and support for your whole foot. They are a good choice if you have flat feet or need extra arch support.
- Heel Inserts: These insoles are designed to provide extra cushioning and support for your heels, which can help prevent blisters and reduce pressure on your feet. They are a good option if you have a high arch or if your high heels are too big in the heel area.
When choosing insoles, it’s important to consider the size and shape of your feet and the type of high heels you wear. You may need to experiment with different insoles to find the right fit and level of comfort.
In addition to providing extra cushioning and support, insoles can also help extend the life of your high heels by reducing wear and tear on the soles and heels. They are a simple and affordable solution for making high heels that are too big fit better and feel more comfortable.
Adding cushioning can be a simple and effective solution if my high heels are too big. Here are some options to consider:
- Insoles: Insoles can add cushioning to the entire footbed of the shoe, making them more comfortable to wear. Look for insoles explicitly designed for high heels, as they will be thinner and fit better in the shoe. Some insoles have added features, such as arch support or odor control.
- Gel inserts: Gel inserts can be added to the ball of the foot or the heel to provide extra cushioning where needed most. They come in various shapes and sizes, so choosing one that fits the shoe properly is important. Gel inserts can be reusable or disposable, depending on the brand.
- Foam pads: Foam pads can be placed in the toe box or the heel of the shoe to take up extra space and provide cushioning. They are often made of a soft, flexible foam that conforms to the foot’s shape. Foam pads can be cut to size to fit any shoe.
- Heel grips: Heel grips are small adhesive pads that stick to the inside of the shoe to prevent slipping and sliding. They can also provide extra cushioning to the heel area of the foot. Heel grips come in various materials, such as foam or gel, and can be reusable or disposable.
When adding cushioning to high heels, choosing products that fit properly in the shoe is important.
Too much cushioning can make the shoe feel tight and uncomfortable. At the same time, too little cushioning won’t make much of a difference.
Finding the right combination of products that work for me may take trial and error. But once I find the right fit, I can enjoy wearing my high heels without discomfort.
Use Heel Grips
When high heels are too big, one of the easiest solutions is to use heel grips. Heel grips are small pads made of rubber or foam that stick onto the inside of your shoes at the back of the heel. They help to fill the gap between your foot and the shoe, preventing your heel from slipping out.
I always keep a pack of heel grips in my purse because they are so handy. They are easy to apply; you can find them online at most drugstores. Here are some of the benefits of using heel grips:
- They are inexpensive and widely available.
- They are discreet and won’t be visible when wearing your shoes.
- They can be used with high heels, flats, and boots.
- They are easy to remove and won’t damage your shoes.
When using heel grips, make sure to choose the right size and material for your shoes. You want them to be a manageable length, as this can affect the fit and comfort of your shoes. Also, avoid using heel grips with open-toe shoes or sandals, as they won’t be effective.
Overall, heel grips are a simple and effective solution for high heels that are too big. They can make your shoes more comfortable and prevent blisters and other foot problems. Try them out and see how they work for you!
Get Them Professionally Altered
If you’ve tried all the DIY hacks and still can’t make your high heels fit properly, consider getting them professionally altered. A shoe repair professional can evaluate your shoes and assess what can be done to make them fit better.
Some alterations that a professional may suggest include:
- Stretching: A shoe repair professional can stretch the material of your shoes in certain areas to make them fit better. This is especially helpful if your shoes are too tight.
- Padding: A professional can add padding to the inside of your shoes to make them fit better and feel more comfortable.
- Resizing: In some cases, a shoe repair professional can resize your shoes to make them fit better. This is a more drastic alteration, but it can be worth it if your shoes are extremely uncomfortable.
It’s important to note that altering your shoes professionally can be expensive. However, having high-quality shoes you love and want to wear for years may be worth it.
Before you take your shoes to a shoe repair professional, be sure to do your research and find a reputable one in your area. You can ask for recommendations from friends or family members or search online for reviews.
In summary, if you’ve exhausted all your DIY options and still need help getting your high heels to fit properly, consider altering them professionally. A shoe repair professional can evaluate your shoes and suggest alterations to make them fit better and feel more comfortable. Just be prepared to pay a higher price for this service.
In conclusion, there are several things you can do if your high heels are too big. First, you can try inserting insoles or padding to fill up the extra space. This will help your feet feel more comfortable and secure in the shoes. Use heel grips or strips to keep your heels from slipping out of the shoes.
Another option is using a shoe stretcher to stretch the shoes in too-tight areas. This is especially helpful if you have narrow feet or a high arch. However, be careful not to over-stretch the shoes as this can cause damage or make them too loose.
You may consider returning or exchanging the shoes for a better fit if all else fails. It’s important to remember that wearing shoes that are too big can cause foot problems and alter your natural stride. Investing in shoes that fit properly to prevent these issues is better in the long run.
Overall, it’s important to prioritize comfort and proper fit for high heels. Don’t sacrifice your foot health for fashion. You can make your high heels fit perfectly and feel great all day with the proper techniques and tools.